Batgirl #2
writer- Gail Simone
artist- Ardian Syaf
I like this book from cover to finish. Gail Simone shows us a very human Batgirl who tries to jump right back into super hero action after she regains the use of her legs. Batgirl was once one of Gotham City's top crime fighters but, after three years behind a desk, she's finding out being a super hero in Gotham City isn't like it used to be. Two issues into the story and all Batgirl has managed to do is get her butt handed to her by the mysterious villain, Mirror. That is what I like about this book. Batgirl is rusty, yet over-confident. She's lost all of her training and conditioning. She chokes when she gets scared. As I said, she's human.
Simone doesn't let me down at all. Her writing gives the title a certain “film noir” edge that I think all of the “Batman Family” books deserve. Ardian Syaf's dark Gothic landscapes and skylines enhance Simone's noir narration and dialogue.
Batgirl is one of my favorite DC titles but I grit my teeth every time I notice side effects of DC's re-boot. One of those side effects is that to readers, Barbara Gordon has been out of commission as Batgirl since 1989. In the current universe however, it's only been three years. She should be old enough to be Batwoman's mother but she's no older than college age now. She's Gotham City's sweetheart by day and Batgirl by night.I guess I'll forgive the messed up chronology for now. Batgirl remains on my Top 5 of DC's New 52.


No comments:
Post a Comment