Action Comics #9
writer- Grant Morrison
artist- Gene Ha
A door from an alternate reality opens
on Earth 23. Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, and Clark Kent come through,
chased by a monster of their own creation. What is Superdoom, and
can President Superman stop it?
Stories set in alternate Earth always
make me nervous. DC has a habit of letting alternate realities get
away from them. They've done it before where they've found
themselves with too many Supermen and too many Batmen and then had to
wrap it up by destroying all of the realities in some sort of CRISIS. In the back of my mind, that's what I was thinking when I saw the
cover of this issue. Still, I like to give everything a fighting
chance and writer Grant Morrison doesn't let me down very often.
Besides the main idea of this story,
Morrison is trying to tell us something. He brings up the issue of
racism within the first two pages, but just enough that it doesn't
dominate the story. He shows us an alternate Earth where Superman's
big red “S” has become more of a corporate sigil and the idea of
Superman reflects a Big Brother type of presence. By making Earth
23's Superman the ideal President, Morrison says to us, “This is
what Superman is supposed to be... a man for the people of the
world.”
Over the years I've become a fan of
artist, Gene Ha. His specialty is in the execution of facial
expression. Ha has the ability to transfer what his characters are
feeling, right into the reader. Sometimes, the best detail can be
seen in some of the simplest renderings. Gene Ha has that figured
out. Still, there are some panels in this issue that disappoint me. I feet that those panels ended up a little flat. Overall though, the
art really works. I've kind of missed Rags Morales' art this month,
but I really hope Ha is in it for a while. I want to see more.
Action Comics #9 has to be my favorite
issue of the series, so far. I'm looking forward to the next issue
and I want Morrison and Ha give us another look at Earth 23.
There's also a back story featuring
President Superman in this issue. Sholly Fisch writes and Cully
Hamner does the art for “Executive Action.” The story is ok, but
I find it unnecessary. They tell a tale of the President being
President while being a superhero at the same time. It's an
interesting aspect to explore, but it just wasn't interesting enough. All in all, the main story in Action Comics #9 makes the book well
worth buying.

No comments:
Post a Comment