Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

New 52 Minus 4 Equals Room To Grow A Universe



In the second wave of DC's New 52, we said goodbye to the bottom of the barrel and said hello to six new titles that really freshened up the universe. Batman Incorporated, G.I. Combat, World's Finest, Earth 2, Dial H, and Ravagers are all getting thumbs up from readers, but how will the new third wave titles hold up?
Writer, Justin Jordan and artist, Jesus Merino revive Team 7 from the WildStorm archives. Team 7 stars WildStorm characters John Lynch, Grifter, and Alex Fairchild along with DC characters Amanda Waller, Black Canary, Steve Trevor and Deathstroke. Justin Jordan's previous works include Hack/Slash and The Strange Talent of Luthor Strode, which means the Team 7 is bound to be an enjoyable collection of grit and violence.
Sword and Sorcery is written by Saturday morning cartoon scribe, Christy Marx and illustrated by Justice League International artist, Aaron Lopresti. This title brings back Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld. I'm a fan of Lopresti's work on JLI and Marvel's Planet Hulk, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for a book in DC's dark line to read like an episode of Thundercats. I'll check it out, though. And if it's a winner, I will be the first to say so.
Out of the four books coming from wave 3, the one I'm most anticipating is Phantom Stranger. I'm just a little worried about a few things. The title is written by Dan Didio and illustrated by Brent Anderson. Anderson's art is always awesome, but I'm less confident about Didio's writing. I still can't forget how he killed the New 52's O.M.A.C. for me and later sunk the whole series. Also, I'm worried about the promises he's made for the series. He offers us answers to the question, “Who is the Phantom Stranger?” Isn't the point of the Phantom Stranger, to be a stranger? If we knew who he was, he might be the Phantom Joe or the Phantom Willis. I like my phantom a stranger, thank you. You have one last chance Dan Didio... don't mess this up.
Another new book that looks promising is Talon. Talon is right out of the "Night of the Owls" storyline that ran through the Batman titles. In this new series, Calvin Rose leaves the Court of Owls and decides to lead a normal life... that is, if the Court of Owls doesn't kill him first. This book could be the hottest thing in the New 52, so keep your eyes peeled. It's written by Scott Snyder (Swamp Thing) and James Tynion IV and drawn by Guillem March (Catwoman), so it should be intense and beautiful.
Those are the four new titles coming into the New 52, but doesn't that mean there should be four books getting canceled? Here's what got cut:

Captain Atom... What I read was ok, but the art and the story didn't keep me interested enough to read more than three issues.

Resurrection Man... I really like the idea of a guy who dies and comes back to life with a different superpower, but the art and writing weren't strong enough to hold me and with Dial H ringing up a new super hero persona for whoever uses the magic phone booth, Resurrection Man seems unnecessary.

Voodoo... It's said to have been on the bottom as far as sales. Another book that didn't really hold my interest. I didn't care much for her when she was a WildStorm character and I don't care so much now.

And the last book in this wave of cancellations is Justice League International. This is something I find odd, since Dan Didio claims that it was selling really well. He said, in an interview, that even though the book was doing well in sales, DC wasn't seeing the characters go in a direction they wanted. Personally, I think it has to do with Didio putting O.M.A.C. in the series. He admitted that he wanted to write the character “just one more time.”

We'll see how these new titles stack up next to the rest. Books being canned and introduced will all be a part of DC's “Zero Month” except for JLI which is getting the axe this August.

No comments:

Post a Comment